One of our big projects this year was helping South Fork Elementary School. For those who are unfamiliar with the situation, the school has about 600 students in grades K-5. Within this school are 24 different cultures of children all sharing one hard fact – poverty for almost all of them. The school system can provide only the very basics in education. The dedicated Teachers struggle to fill in the gaps with the most basic items – notebooks, socks for children coming to school in the dead of winter without them; toothbrushes, soap, pencils. The list runs the gamut of basics for any child. Salem Lodge # 289 has stepped up with money, items and love.
On Friday, April 7, 2017, I was honored, along with another Brother, Benton Williams, to deliver BBQ, Slaw, Potatoes and Hushpuppies to the Teachers of this school for lunch. We as a Fraternity let them know that they are appreciated and that we have their back in helping what Jesus called “the least of us.”
When I returned to the school later in the day, I was inundated by the Principal and the Teachers who wanted to ensure we know how much love they feel.
I want to thank my Brothers for giving me this privilege. I want all of you to know that this is what it means to be a Mason . I have received high praise from individuals and Brothers for our lodge doing “an Awesome thing.”
Drop off boxes are located at the following locations:
- Milner’s American Southern 630 S. Winston Salem, NC 27103
- Milner’s Brothers 2391 Lewisville Clemmons Road, Winston-Salem, NC
- Dukes Restaurant 4875 Country Club Road, Winston-Salem, NC 27104
- oSo Eats 299 Jonestown Road, Winston-Salem, 27104
- Cloverdale Kitchen 2251 Cloverdale Ave, Winston Salem, NC 27103
- Twin City Hive 301 Brookstown Ave, Winston Salem, NC 27101
- Camel City BBQ Factory 701 N Liberty St, Winston Salem, NC 27101
- PAZ Boutique 701 N Liberty St, Winston Salem, NC 27101